Sunday 2 June 2013

Review - Off-bike clothing taken

My off-bike clothing is listed below:

Regatta 1/2 zip long-sleeved fleece, Regatta zip-off trousers, Karrimor short-sleeved technical T-shirt - all in lightweight polyester: - all performed well, dried very quickly when washed and did not crease. The T shirt was brought as a layer for wear under the cotton shirts or in the sleeping bag (during our cold nights under canvas).

2 short sleeved cotton T shirts - each was printed to publicise the charity aspect of the tour. Both were warm. Used the technical T-shirt beneath if I needed extra warmth. They took longer to dry than polyester clothes and I had to smooth them out when packing to minimise the appearance of creases.

1 pair of black cotton athletic shorts - I had visions of wearing these over my cycling shorts when we stopped in order not to put people off their lunch, but this didn't materialise. Nevertheless, I wore them on our campsite rest day and they were a more day-to-day pair of shorts than the zip-offs would have been which, if they'd got dirty, wouldn't have mattered.

Karrimor K2 black/charcoal sandals - I was really pleased with these. they looked like trainers but had many openings in the uppers. When worn without socks, they looked like sandals. When worn with trousers and black socks, you wouldn't notice that they were "open" and they looked like enclosed trainers/shoes. One of my better buys.

Bandana - as I have a centre parting in my hair of around 20cm wide, sunburn on top is a problem for me. I didn't want to take a baseball cap (weight and volume) and so settled for a bandana which I knew I could also wear under my helmet if I needed to. Rarely worn as the weather simply didn't warrant it but I would take this again.

Charity running vest in polyester - this was meant to be dual function - for wear on hot rest days or on hot cycling days. Needless to say, it was superfluous to needs and I wouldn't take one again.

2 pairs of black cotton socks - to wear with the zip-off trousers. Nothing to say about these as they were fine.

Pants  were discussed in the previous post about cycle clothing.

If I was packing for another tour today, I would take a long-sleeved shirt in polyester. I find that my arms get cold very easily and this makes the rest of me cold.

Aside from the above, I felt that what I took with me was pretty much right.

1 comment:

  1. Its a nice informative blog about cycle clothing.Thanks for your valuable information.

    http://lovelybike.blogspot.in/2013/09/monday-mailbox-cycling-clothing-and.html

    ReplyDelete