Wednesday 10 April 2013

Cold weather training

Since the last post, I've had four tough days in the saddle but have been helped by some invaluable things:-

1. Disposable gloves (the type used to protect your hands at petrol filling stations) worn under woollen gloves - really effective at keeping wind chill from your fingers.
2. Ear warmers/muffs - stop your ears from dropping off!
3. Buff, worn around the neck - stops the heat escaping from your body (assuming that you're wearing enough warm clothing and the heat isn't escaping through the clothes too much) and stops the wind chill getting in, under your collar.
4. Patience - when your legs are aching and you're only part way up a hill, stop, let your legs recover, eat an energy bar if necessary, and when you resume, it's surprising how much easier the hill becomes. (Repeat as necessary). The same applies when you're battling into a headwind (as I have for the last 2 days ...... and cold east winds, at that!).

It's so easy to think that each cycle outing is a race against the clock. I admit that I time my training sessions against the mileage covered to gauge my training progress. However, sometimes I have to remember that we're touring, not trying to break records!

The jury's out on the use of bib shorts or bib tights in cold weather. For those who are unaware, they are padded shorts or tights with a high back and front and shoulder straps. They are great at keeping your back warm as the shorts/tights part cannot slip down, but when the call of nature comes, you have to take off both your outer jacket and inner jersey (shirt) and roll the straps etc down, leaving you naked from the waist up. This is not ideal in a cold east wind and rather embarrassing if traffic suddenly appears! When you're not as young as others, you also have to carefully plan how much water you take on and where suitable "convenience" stops may occur.

I've tried a few different "energy" bars now and I'm starting to settle on Kellogg's Nutri-bar Elevenses which are oat bakes that come in different flavours. They feel like real food (i.e. are suitably filling) and are not too expensive. They're probably not an immediate energy hit, but I've also bought some dextrose tablets for quick sugar (energy) intake. These take up no room and will be for emergency use. When the tour starts, though, we'll be looking to stop at regular intervals at cafes, shops and bakeries along the way to re-fuel.

Wet weather has been forecast for the next couple of days, so I'll give my legs a rest. When I next saddle up, I hope to have my panniers packed and will go out on the bike fully loaded.
Now that will be interesting!

Elan

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind comments. We hope to post daily when the trip starts, assuming that we can get wi-fi each evening.

    ReplyDelete